Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » PSUPedia » PSUPedia » PSUPedia Forums

Post subject: New forum proposal
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:21 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

This is in two parts:

Firstly, essen just asked me about creating a JP section of the forum that would house the various info and guides that have been posted (shop guides, new content guides... he specifically mentioned the /commands).

So, I decided that we should see about expanding the idea and I propose 'The Cutting Edge' (prototype name), a forum that would cover the following:

* Reports of new drops, gameplay changes and other noteworthy items resulting from JP updates. The idea behind this is that, on here as well as PSOW, information on new changes is often buried within update threads (sometimes screenshot threads on PSOW) too and it would be nice to see if we could make them more accessible.
* Guides, whether they be for playing JP or not (although probably an emphasis on the JP side).
* Any research topics, into formulas, droprates, what-have-you.

The general idea would be to make this stuff more accessible, especially for anyone who is playing JP, planning on playing JP, or simply curious about what to expect, without having to go through potentially several pages of an update thread to find the info they want. In addition, it could contain information that is potentially useful currently to US players, although I think the emphasis is on documenting the unknown, rather than going over what has probably already been gone over several times.

The original forum would be left intact mostly, and it can just be home to the general fluff and joking around it is right now. The update threads would still be posted there, but the idea is to seperate opinions on the update, jokes, predictions on what to expect etc. and actual important information that the wiki (or forums) could use that comes from the updates.

Second part: as stated above the idea here is partially to seperate general discussion of new shiny JP things from actual information on them. However, neither me nor essen are sure of how this would work.

Would we, for example, have a thread dedicated to new drops and drop confirmations in the new forum? Would there be a seperate one for each update, or just one big megathread for drop confirmations? Would new aspects of gameplay, balance changes etc. be handled in a similar manner? Opinions and suggestions would be welcomed.

Do note that none of this is set in stone yet, and is heavily subject to change or just being plain scrapped if the idea doesn't seem to take hold, but it seems like it is worth a try. Again all credit to essen for providing the basic idea and inspiration.

I'm in space.

Post subject: Re: New forum proposal
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:33 pm 

I like the idea of a drop confirmation megathread, but not sure about the rest atm. I don't think it's bad, just don't really know.

Not so certain seperating general discussion from factposting from 1 thread into 2 on 2 different forums is such a great idea, though.

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:57 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Considering the wiki is more a resource for US players than anything, the JP update notes could very well fit in the bleeding edge part of the forum. However it should not become an importer forum or any such thing, as psup remains neutral.

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:46 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Raujinn wrote:
I like the idea of a drop confirmation megathread, but not sure about the rest atm. I don't think it's bad, just don't really know.

Yeah, I'm not so sure it'll take off, but it might be worth a try even as a trial.

Quote:
Not so certain seperating general discussion from factposting from 1 thread into 2 on 2 different forums is such a great idea, though.

Well, my reasoning behind this is like this:

Say, a JP update comes out which introduces various far-reaching balance changes. Under the current system, there'd probably just be the one news thread which would contain all the various comments.

Under the new system, there would be, as you say, 2 threads on 2 different forums. The original news would be posted as it is now, and would be for comments like, I don't know, 'I hope they nerf Fighmaster' or debates over ST's definition of the word 'many' when they say they're adding many items.

The second thread (and more, if necessary) would be strictly for discussion and fact-finding of these supposed balance changes: testimony from JP players, images from the JP uploader (relevant ones anyway, unless we need to write an article on panty shots or the current JP population), all that kind of jazz. Seperating them I think serves two purposes:

1) I think it'll be easier to browse the various change reports, new drops and all the rest. The difference is that instead of looking through, say, 'JP update for May 14th' and hoping that the info you're after is in that topic (or hoping that the search brings up what you're after), you'll just be able to look in the new forum and see, I don't know, 'Race/type stat changes' instead and it'll be a lot easier. That's the theory, anyway.
2) I think that bringing together the info like this might make it easier to collaborate and get facts sorted out before stuff gets posted to the wiki.

Of course, I'm not sure this would work myself. Let's see what others think.

I'm in space.

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:18 pm 

Given that explanation I have to agree actually. I'm still mystified about the fighter PA changes at the moment and if I were a casual lurker I might have no idea in which of the update topics that info'd be ( as it happens I don't think its in any of our topics, so uh, new topic idea!). I'm for it.

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:43 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

I like the sound of this. It would be a lot better for the sake of information gathering to keep facts separate from opinions, rants, etc. I know sifting through loads of posts trying to find specific details can be a pain, particularly when some updates lead to heated discussions that just go on and on.

On drop confirmation threads, I can't decide if I like the idea of a single mega-thread or multiple threads divided by update better. I guess it would be worth it to try out the single thread first, and if it gets too big for its own good, then maybe divide it up into individuals by update.

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:00 pm 

Well the reason I like the idea of a megathread is just for a place to go to put drop info. Say I find something, I know that that's THE thread to relay that information, rather than having to worry about where is the right place to post it.

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:29 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

I agree that we should try the megathread idea for now. And yeah, Raujinn, half the point of this is giving people a clear place to post info. It's not really a revolutionary change, but more just as a matter of organization.

I'm in space.

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:44 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

It might be worthwhile to keep the initial post of the thread updated with all new confirmed drop info, maybe organized by mission, item type or something. By each item, we could link to the specific post(s) in the thread where it was reported and confirmed. Something like that may make finding info even quicker so that when the thread gets really big, limited amounts of searching have to be done.

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:46 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Yeah, I was thinking of that myself. My suggestion is to reserve the second post of the thread as well.

First post can be current update drop info, and the second post can be used for previous update info. It should be a fairly simple task to 'move' the stuff from the first post to the second post when a new update hits.

I'm in space.

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:54 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

That sounds good. Since most people will likely be searching for the latest drops, it'd be a great way to keep that info front and center so they won't have to search through loads of older drops to find it.

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:15 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Yep.

Any last minute objections or suggestions? If not, this forum will be going up tonight for a trial period.

Because this will mean we have two forums dedicated to PSU, I'm going to restructure the 'General' forums a little bit.

Phantasy Star Universe
- General Discussion (this is what is currently the Phantasy Star Universe forum)
- The Bleeding Edge (the new forum)

Other Phantasy Star games
- Phantasy Star Portable
- Phantasy Star Zero

Off-topic
- Off-topic

Other forums will stay the same.

I'm in space.

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:21 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Looks good. Only suggestion I can make isn't really related to the changes. It'd just be to update the PSP forum's description since the game is out in the EU now. ;)

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:24 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

I was wondering whether it was out now or not. It completely passed me by.

I'm in space.

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:25 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

OKす.

Will there be any cleanup of the current forum?

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:29 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

I'll have a little look through, but if you want to point out any topics/posts you think should be moved to the new forum, feel free.

I'm in space.

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:15 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Mewn wrote:

Good fix. :lol:

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:12 pm 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

Mewn wrote:

Yeah I totally was going to check the date on that a while ago but then I forgot.

Board index » PSUPedia » PSUPedia » PSUPedia Forums