Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Other stuff » Handheld Phantasies » Phantasy Star Zero

Post subject: Chain system and MAG details
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:27 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

http://www.g-heaven.net/pso/topics/081106f.html

Shougai PSO posted some new PS0 information from the latest issue of Famitsu.

Battle system - chain combo
* Chain combos are pulled off with the cooperation of your party members.
* When you meet the requirements of a chain, "# chain" will appear on screen (where the pound sign is replaced by the appropriate numeral).
* The power of photon arts and charged techniques increases with chain combos.
* Here is how the system works:
-- 1. Pull off a successful three-hit combo. Each hit must deal at least one point of damage. Also, NPCs count in this system.
-- 2. A different member of the party then must do the same within a set period of time.
-- 3. Repeat step 2 with a third party member.
-- 4. Repeat step 2 with a fourth party member.
-- 5. To continue to build chains, repeat the entire process with the party.
* It is unknown how multi-hit three-hit combos will be handled (i.e. if they will count as a single chain, or multiple chains in one).

Battle system - battle commands
* In story mode, you can issue battle commands to NPCs.
* Battle commands include "attack shift," "heal order" and "free order."
* Commands are issued to NPCs using special speech bubbles. You can customize these.
* NPCs can respond to your commands with their own speech bubbles.

MAGs - photon blast
* MAGs become capable of using photon blasts as they grow.
* Just like in PSO, a photon blast is activated through the use of a full PB gauge.
* There will be various PBs, just like in PSO.
* "Parsifal" is an attack-type PB. (With a little research, I found out that the name of this one matches up with an opera from the 1880s, but it could be coincidental.)
* "Midgar" is a support-type PB which buffs the party.
* Just like in PSO, you can chain photon blasts.

MAGs - raising
* You raise your MAG by feeding it, just like in PSO.
* Unlike PSO, pretty much any item can be used as food for your MAG in Zero.
* Your MAG will change in appearance and personality as it levels up.

Post subject: Re: Chain system and MAG details
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:00 am 
PSUPedia SysOp

NPC commands sounds pretty cool. Hopefully they'll be a bit more than retarded meat shields this time.

I'm in space.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:12 pm 

Something that no English-speaking man has spoken of is Mag's characters. There is a few details in this PSUpedia but not enough so I'd be ok with it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Isn't there any English page with all the details? Everything is in the japanese PS0 wiki, and from what I understand, there are 9 "moods" for these lovely Mags... I don't understand much more though. Would it be possible to have a translation please? That would be extremely useful!

http://pszero.wikiwiki.jp/?%A5%DE%A5%B0

Post Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:22 pm 

I got this scrub-translated (when I should be working). I'll add it to the wiki over lunch or this evening after work
Only thing I'm not sure on are some of the personality names

Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:05 am 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

Marine wrote:
http://pszero.wikiwiki.jp/?%A5%DE%A5%B0

Well, this is my version of it. Can't say it looks pretty, but the original didn't really either. I wasn't entirely sure about the last two rows, but I'm assuming it's saying either of the two stat categories could change its personality into the same thing (the complementing category within the same personality category), i.e. eccentric mags could turn moody using either hit or guard items and the other way around, while gluttonous ones couldn't change at all.
In that case, it'd seem like one of the last two lines would be unneeded. The wikiwiki version actually listed Mind instead of Guard for Lonely though, but I changed this since it didn't seem to fit with the rest of the pattern. I decided not to change theirs though, since I haven't even tested any of this myself anyway.
I think they actually used to believe that certain mag personalities belonged to different evolutions (or well, that there one or two personalities for each form excluding the cell mags) before... there's nothing like that left on there now though, so I guess they stepped away from it. It seemed to make sense with the whole "this personality can only change into this other one" though, if it really is like that.

Sorry there's been so little progress on translating over here by the way.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:26 am 

Well you beat me to it. Didn't help that the wiki was mostly unreachable during my lunch due to the AOTI template change ;P

Edit: I checked it out and all the info is the same as what I have except that Moody/Whimsical (I just liked the sound of the latter) has a low chance of casting Deband at the start of a boss fight.
I caught the same possible typo with Lonely's primary stats as well. As for the different variants, I took it to mean that a mag starts off with the base, weaker personality of the 4 types and can change into either of the 2 stronger types depending on how you feed it. The curious thing about this is Gluttonous is the only one with PP Recovery and can be lost forever by changing its personality. Anyhow, now that I have a better understanding of mag personalities, I'll pay attention more in-game and figure out the personality change aspect

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:27 pm 

This is indeed very interessting. One things puzzles me though : what do you mean by "guards", like in "You have to feed them 5 guards straight to change their personnality". Do you mean "shields" ? I didn't really get that one :/.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:06 pm 

Marine wrote:
This is indeed very interessting. One things puzzles me though : what do you mean by "guards", like in "You have to feed them 5 guards straight to change their personnality". Do you mean "shields" ? I didn't really get that one :/.

Guards=Armor
Armor = armor, robes, frames, units.. basically anything that drops in a blue box

Board index » Other stuff » Handheld Phantasies » Phantasy Star Zero