Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Phantasy Star Universe » Phantasy Star Universe (JP PC ver.)

Post subject: Towards the Future - the PSO2Pedia
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:35 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

As people probably well know, we've been quiet on the Infinity front. This is for a number of reasons - lack of time and willingness, little prospect of an English release and the existence of Japanese wikis for the importers.

But we are looking into providing a PSO2 wiki, of some sort. It may not be using the mediawiki software, we've yet to look into that. But we do want to provide one regardless of whether the game gets an English release or not.

So, this is a statement of our intentions as well as a chance to ask you, the readers and editors of the PSUPedia family of wikis, what content you want to see in the PSO2Pedia (working title). Is there something you want us to focus on? Do you have any ideas on how info could be presented? Has anyone deciphered any images or videos to determine things of general interest, such as stats, icons, status effects etc.?

If so, we want to hear about them. Any other discussion about the PSO2 wiki is welcome.

I'm in space.

Post subject: Re: Towards the Future - the PSO2Pedia
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:02 pm 

If we're gonna start throwing out any ideas...

I wonder if some kind of talent-tree calculator like you see on wowhead may be useful.. It really depends on how those trees work.

Semi-related it'd be nice if there were a seperate thing for people to share character information on so it could be kept off the wiki.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:18 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Talent-tree calculator might be useful if it can be coded, firstly we'll focus on the simpler wiki things though I think.

I'm not sure we need a separate thing for people to post char info on, we do however need to keep it out of stuff like the wiki's recent changes log and the like. Other than people posting 100 changes in an hour to their userpage it hasn't been that annoying imo, certainly less drama than I would have expected.

I'm in space.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:09 am 
PSUPedia SysOp

The plan is to go for a proper database in lieu of a wiki to give us more flexibility. (It'll definitely be a learning experience for me, but I can't wait!)

* Image submission with the ability of an admin to approve an image and have it automatically added to the appropriate page's gallery. (This would mean a submission form for each page, I suppose. Kind of like how we have that line about uploading an image on any page that doesn't have anything in its gallery.)
* A similar system for data gathering. Could definitely be good for reporting drops.

I know there are plenty of other things I'd like to see, but I never can seem to think of them when I need to list them out. Expect more stuff from me later.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:51 am 

Possibility of having a "guides" section for specific missions that may require puzzle solving or that have time limits like PSO's challenge mode that required specific strategies; these guides would need to be approved, of course, much like the picture submission idea Espio gave.

I was also gonna suggest the "data gathering" idea, but Espio beat me to it. :P

Probably having weapons and other items have specific, hard-coded, templates; this way when users submit their findings or item information, the resulting page (after being approved) it'd automatically have the required layout without people having to fiddle with wiki style commands that may confuse some people.

I'll post more ideas as they come to mind.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:01 am 
PSUPedia SysOp

Hard-coded templates are definitely in the plans, I believe. We do want to make the process simpler for people.

Guides are fine as well.

I'm in space.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:37 am 

Really liking the sound of data submission forms of some kind.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 am 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

PSO2Pedia is a terrible name. Even EncycloPSO2dia is better. Hey wait, maybe just PSO2dia, it kind of fits.

Also, wasn't essen working on some sort of super database wiki doodad? Was that for this, or EGS?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:40 am 
PSUPedia SysOp

That's for this. But it's a secret to everyone!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:41 am 

Call it PSOTpedia (t for two)

We make psot

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:13 am 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

Call it "I remember something about PSO2 and a wiki but fucked"

1%Pedia.
OvershadowersAnonymous.org

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:15 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

thatsite.info

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:31 am 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

helloworld.geocities.com

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:57 am 
PSUPedia SysOp

If you use commas to break apart larger numbers in certain charts here (15,000,000 instead of 15000000, for example), it breaks the math functions some tables use. I'm not sure to what extent we'll be using similar functions in the database, but it would be nice if they could support the use of commas in numbers. Also, for the sake of uniformity across the site, it might be useful to have the templates automatically add commas where needed for numbers 1,000 and up. In case anyone doesn't use them when adding information.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:56 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

In the database it shouldn't have comma (that is, you input and edit them without), but when rendering in templates sure.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:54 pm 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

For image submission, I'd been wondering if perhaps a booru would be a good idea -- using a script to pull some images by tag (weapon name, etc.) by means of an automated gallery. Assumption: people will tag images.

On info submission, won't the JP community/wikis inevitably remain a main source of info (other than for translations) due to the release gap?

Quote:
Has anyone deciphered any images or videos to determine things of general interest, such as stats, icons, status effects etc.?

I imagine you'd have seen it, but stat-wise this screenshot reveals a lot; HP/PP/打撃力/射撃力/法撃力/技量/防御力/反応力/精神力 -- HP, PP, whacking power, shootan' power, magic power (TP), skill (huh), DFP, reaction, and MST. I haven't checked discussions so this might've been said before somewhere, but I assume DFP and reaction are something along the lines of melee defense and shooting defense, parallel to the functional separation of the former ATP/ATA.

e: .. and then the alpha vids popped up on youtube. yeah, I'm late, as always. XP
e2: the one I saw earlier got taken down, but my Youtube downloader plugin still worked anyway, so I reuploaded it here.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:00 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Tycho: about your PM on IRC, the system we're going for will be nothing alike so there's no code to borrow.

Also about the gap I'm guessing a lot more people are going to play JP this time around.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:25 pm 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

Alright. If I can help, I'd be glad to.
If you're saying more people would import now, is that because of that language option in the alpha menu, or did it just take this many games for people to learn? :b

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:35 am 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

Well, PSOBB was so small that this was probably the first exposure most of these people had to how Western-specific releases in this series are handled.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:13 am 
PSUPedia SysOp

Tycho wrote:
Alright. If I can help, I'd be glad to.
If you're saying more people would import now, is that because of that language option in the alpha menu, or did it just take this many games for people to learn? :b

People are learning, the shutdown of PC/PS2 and the huge content gap between the 360 and JP PC servers (not to mention the reskinning of existing weapons on 360 because they don't have the art assets for the newer weapons) is getting through to them.

Sega for their part seems to be receptive to this, since they're occasionally posting in English on the facebook page.

I'm in space.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:16 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

http://psupedia.info/User:EspioKaos/Sandbox2

Did a little data gathering last night while watching one of the leaked videos.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:16 pm 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

Yeah, non-Japanese flooding the FB page must be getting through to Bonkohara. Surprised me actually, because the ratio seems unproportional to the size of the actual Japanese/English communities. Guess FB isn't as big there.
What strikes me though, is that they let the problem occur in the first place. Even without global servers, if they'd just given SOA the autonomy they needed to run the game properly (and provide the updates), people would never have had to ragequit/import to begin with.

e: at the sandbox page, what does Resp. stand for?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:30 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Tycho wrote:
e: at the sandbox page, what does Resp. stand for?

Response. Was trying to abbreviate reaction at first, but I didn't like anything I came up with, so I decided to just go with a similar word.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:43 pm 

I look forward to the new database and contributing to it. As for ideas, I do like to see one or two exemplary pages for each type (mission, item, monster, etc) of page that everyone should follow. Templates (at least in the wiki-system) are great but they do not contain enough information to make a page that feels fully consistent with the others. PSUPedia had a lot of information on pages that are written in sentences. Since the same piece of information can be worded in many different ways, those sentences tend to differ a lot from page to page, making the database less consistent.

I'm also one of the people who's planning to do an import straight from the beginning. Language barrier can be overcome to a certain degree. The only thing I was really worried about is how the game reacts to lag, but as I posted on pso-world, it seems okay.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:49 pm 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

Vent wrote:
The only thing I was really worried about is how the game reacts to lag, but as I posted on pso-world, it seems okay.

Did that vid show how it handles weapon switching with lag as well? Cuz in PSU that being server-sided made FO pretty much unplayable for me with lag. -_-;

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:36 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

The database won't be open for editing for everyone. A few members (Espio first and foremost) will setup templates and feed it the various data. Other contributors will be able to contribute data with some sort of ticket system (we'll think about how to do it some more later but it should be something like one form per type of data) that gets reviewed and merged in as soon as it's been validated by the staff (and subsequently should appear on all pages without further editing).

I should have more information in the coming months.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:17 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

I just want to emphasize with essen's comment that we are still very much going to be about contributions from the community, it's just that we know of people's problems actually editing the wiki. Talk pages are an inelegant solution because they run off the same wikisyntax that the main pages do and are therefore not necessarily obvious to the neophyte. Some sort of ticket system should allow people to submit helpful info to us in a manner that works for them, while the database nature of the new site should make things easier for people like Espio and probably myself.

I'm in space.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:59 pm 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

slightly off-topic: alpha installer, courtesy of psow's DC_Player.
e: got an infraction for it at psow too, while all those pics and vids violated the 'posting copyrighted content' rule just as bad. :(

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:45 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

The people I trust to make the most of that are already very aware of its existence, I assure you. Credit to the PSOW guy though.

I'm in space.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:46 am 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

I like how the only rule we actually enforce here is me warning/banning people for terrible grammar.

Board index » Phantasy Star Universe » Phantasy Star Universe (JP PC ver.)