Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Other stuff » PSO2: Electric Boobraloo

Post subject: Gameplay and Screenshots!
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:48 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcE1ZMt-kss

http://www.4gamer.net/games/120/G012075/20110424001/

I'm damn hyped now.

Last edited by Rygdea on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Gameplay and Screenshots!
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:51 am 
PSUPedia SysOp

What I just said about it on PSUMods:

"Looks awesome? Dude, the environment is still ugly as shit. And characters... are a little higher resolution PSU characters."

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:56 am 

I'm quite happy enough that they aren't on the craptaculaor "PSU engine" anymore.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:35 am 

It's ok looking for an alpha I guess?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:30 am 

I expected less, considerably less, so I'm pleasently surprised; the gameplay definitely has my interest piked.
Considering I have an alpha code (and hoping I do get picked), now I'm even more interested about getting in and see it in action by my own hand.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:22 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

http://bumped.org/psublog/category/phan ... -online-2/

Translation of the 'key phrases' that crop up in the video here and 4gamer article here.

What's interesting is the opposition to the 'evil' being called アークス, this seems to be a reference to the Arkz of PSO Episode 3 but I believe that was referred to as アークズ (aakuzu, as opposed to aakusu in PSO2). Whether it's a mistake, a coincidence or a deliberate corruption (see: Dragon -> De Ragan, De Rol Le -> De Rolei) remains to be seen.

I'm in space.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:42 pm 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

Graphics don't look spectacular, but I never expected them to after seeing the alpha specs. The action certainly looks a lot smoother.

Couple cool things I noticed that have surely been pointed out already:

-The GUI (what little we saw of it) looks pretty good. The hotkey bar along the bottom gives me renewed hope this will be staying PC only. Guessing by the health bars and the like, it seems to be running at a reasonable resolution.
-Jumping. Fuck yeah. Rolling, too. Hopefully this means they get much more creative with enemy behaviors to take advantage of this. This also allows for some really cool interactive environment stuff.
-Looks like cut-in-chat is back. I'm down with that.
-From what little they showed, it looks like rangers might not be intolerably boring this time around!
-Action certainly looks even more kinetic and smooth than in PSU. I can't wait to go read all the POSW posts from people who wanted PSO's clunky ass battle mechanics back. EDIT: Eh, maybe not. Watching the footage again, it looks like it might be back to the old hard attacks of yore, just with fancier animations. I'll wait and see on this.
-PP as a character stat again. I'm ok with this, as long as it isn't like the PSP games, where it runs out (and recharges) absurdly fast. If it's like how TP was in PSO, that's fine.

Well, I'm sold. Not that that was really ever in question. I'm a sucker for their shenanigans. At the very least, it will be fun for a couple of months.

EDIT: Just now looking at the actual screenshots. Those textures could use a lot of work...

Haha, oh wow. That Newman chick has some serious kyphosis going on. Holy shit. Spines do not work that way.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:12 pm 

Qwerty wrote:
-PP as a character stat again. I'm ok with this, as long as it isn't like the PSP games, where it runs out (and recharges) absurdly fast. If it's like how TP was in PSO, that's fine.

About PP, looks like it's more like in PSO, in one of the pictures the "Sonic" character is lvl 1 with 100 PP, while in another one he's lvl 4 with 130 PP.

About the graphics, just throw in proper resolution and anti-aliasing support and I'll be happy.
Other than that, can't wait for PSO2. :3

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/ezodagrom
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom
Origin/GFWL Gamertag/UPlay: Ezodagrom

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:41 pm 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

Will probably be pretty fun for a couple of days!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:36 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Well, I like what I see so far (except for the lack of techniques). But, come one... take the weapons off your backs. Your spine will thank you!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:41 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Alpha: jumping, rolling, fun action!
Beta: rolling, fun action!
Release: rolling!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:02 pm 

EspioKaos wrote:
Well, I like what I see so far (except for the lack of techniques). But, come one... take the weapons off your backs. Your spine will thank you!

I prefer the weapons on their backs to taking them out of hammerspace tbh..

Though I guess the rest of your gear will still come from there

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:27 pm 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

The weapons are secretly made of styrofoam.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:10 pm 

On April 28 there's going to be an higher quality gameplay trailer, also, here's some extra info:
Quote:
Sakai posted a blog post about PSO2, it’s more conceptual information than actual information, but regardless the game is currently before the alpha stage. Here are some selected notes.

- These are development images. There still some more time until the alpha test, with many elements not in it. There’s still more information about PSO2 to be revealed, right now you’ve only seen just one portion of the entire thing.

- This project was started to allow many people with PCs to readily play this game. There’s no need for you to think that you need the latest PC to play because the game’s graphics can be adjusted.

- Yes the PC allows for the game to be better graphically, and certainly graphics are important. However, we aren’t making this game to show off a tech demo, we want to make a game for everyone to enjoy.

- In addition, I cannot say that I am satisfied with this, it is currently in a stage before the alpha. I want to continue polishing it up in the future.

- PSO2 faces many challenges and one of the challenges is to focus on those who don’t play PC games. More challenges will be revealed in the future.

http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-minor-website-update/

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:34 pm 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

Like I said on official, it's always a great sign when a game producer tells everyone to lower their expectations.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:59 pm 

We know the graphics are shite we meant them to be shite

Cool story, Sakai

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:29 am 

Well, basically he says that the game will have graphical options for those with weaker PCs, that they aren't trying to make a game with the best possible graphics, and that the game isn't even in alpha, this is pre-alpha. What's wrong about that?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:34 am 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

It's best not to say anything, as it's impossible to respond like that without sounding really defensive, which isn't exactly great for consumer confidence.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:36 am 

If there was a reason to believe that the graphics we see now are placeholders til they spruce things up, then nothing would be wrong.

Some of it looks fine, but most of it looks worryingly shit.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:48 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

http://pso2.jp/teaser/swf/movie.swf

A high-quality version of the trailer! And if you have issues with the official site getting it to load fully (I did...), here's a YouTube version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcE1ZMt-kss

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:31 pm 

With the higher quality you can see that the PP regens rather fast, ala PSPo2. However it does indeed seem to go up with the level. I'd much rather have a system like this than spamming fluids all day long. I never really understood the point of MP type meters in RPGs if you could just refill it so easily.

Above the center palette you can faintly see what looks like numbers too that goes up with each normal melee attack. Possible chaining system too?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:08 pm 

Have some buttons!!

Someone on POSW spotted this. This goes up with every attack (normal or "photon art")

All the icons in this vid for the 3rd button on the middle panel, in the order they seem to usually if not always show up in..

Not sure what 2 or 3 do, but 3 is activated toward the end of the video at the same time Sonic blocks an attack. 2 is active at the end. Also what seems to be the monomate button is lit up throughout most of the video (but not at the beginning)

Ranger buttons! No idea what 2-4 do, and none of them seem to be dodge roll as no buttons on any bar light up when she rolls.

To add: Looks like PP is also regenerated by normal attacks (both melee and ranged), but in the video it is not used up by dodging or blocking

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:22 am 

Quote:
Someone on POSW spotted this. This goes up with every attack (normal or "photon art")

A friend of mine and I were watching the videos and presuming this may be a sort of "rage bar" of sorts, builds up as we attack, then each "level" stocked up can do something, we just have no idea what at this point.
To note that this rage bar does not increase if the hunter does the "dash kick" stunner attack (it's seen twice in the video in the same cut) and using the PA after this "dash kick" initiated the first PA (uppercut) instead of the second (tornado slash) which seems to happen after doing a normal attack first. We can speculate that the "dash kick" can be used more like a linker attack for longer stringers and doesn't count as a normal attack for PA strings, not to mention it did half the damage of a normal attack (in the range of 30s instead of 60s like the other normal attacks done in the same cut sequence).

Quote:
All the icons in this vid for the 3rd button on the middle panel, in the order they seem to usually if not always show up in..

They change depending on what normal attacks are done before the "PA" button is pressed, just like different strings in action games.
The first icon is the uppercut, it's usually always active, it's the "PA if no button is done before" PA.
The second icon is the "tornado slash" we see being done a few times in the video, that button always shows up if the character did only one normal attack and then pressed the PA button.
So on and so forth for the other icons, the same occurs in the air if the monster was launched upwards from the uppercut.
Also to note that the PA button icon also changes when a PA is initiated from either part of the string, meaning that some PAs lead to other PAs in the combo string, probably with some limitation of up to 3 PAs in the combo string or until the PP bar runs out.

Quote:
Not sure what 2 or 3 do, but 3 is activated toward the end of the video at the same time Sonic blocks an attack. 2 is active at the end. Also what seems to be the monomate button is lit up throughout most of the video (but not at the beginning)

That same friend and I were speculating that 2 and 3 could be buttons to trigger a shifta and deband powerup, either "tech" or "item" versions (like shiftaride and debandaride).

Quote:
Ranger buttons! No idea what 2-4 do, and none of them seem to be dodge roll as no buttons on any bar light up when she rolls.

Speculation: 3 and 4 could be traps/grenades (fire and poison respectively), 2 is probably a defense debuff bullet skill (the icon has a shield, a bullet and a blue arrow pointing downwards).
The button in the middle for the ranger attack palette doesn't seem to be a block button like it is for the hunter, it seems to say "HD" in the corner (just like the hunter HUD had SW for the attack pallete's icons, probably indicating "sword" functions), the "HD" could potentially mean "hold" which that same friend of mine and I speculated could be a sort of "hold in place" function to increase accuracy while not being able to move.
Of course, that same button also seems to have an arrow circling a yellow block, so we can also speculate it could be "cover tactics"?

Sakai needs to release more details at this point, the video shows too much but says so little, which was surely the intent all along, to get the fans analysing this stuff. :P

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:30 pm 

this looks so very fun im just new here and i dont know more of the weapons to use yet..whats the best weapon to use?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:09 am 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

The game isn't out yet. Do you even know anything about PSO2? Your question is obnoxiously vague and kind of pointless.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:27 am 

This was worth reviving a thread that's been dead for 13 months.

Board index » Other stuff » PSO2: Electric Boobraloo