Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » PSUPedia » PSUPedia

Post subject: AOTI and AOTI GAC banners
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:52 am 
PSUPedia SysOp

Mewn and I briefly talked about this on IRC a few days ago, but it's something I'd like to bring up again to see if we can get some more discussion going on it. Basically, to what extent do we need to continue using the {{AOTI only}} and {{AOTI GAC only}} banners at the top of articles? First, a few things to keep in mind.

1. AOTI is required to play for all versions of the game; PSU ver.1 is completely obsolete.
2. The only remaining PS2 version of the game is for JP, and it's being closed at the end of March.
3. After the JP PS2 closure, all versions of the game will maintain updates with proper downloaded patches, so no items will have to be dummied out with basic models.
4. GAC/追加アップデート content will be synonymous with normal content updates.

Essentially what we're getting at is that the GAC banners really won't be needed as their main purpose was to ID items that would not show up properly for PS2 users. Likewise, the AOTI banners were intended to ID stuff that required the expansion to use or access. This one applies to something a bit broader, though, as the game itself still recognizes missions as ver.1 and ver.2 and uses specific drop charts for each.

So, how should we handle these banners? Get rid of one or both of them? Maybe do a little rewording so that they would still apply to the game's situation? Or something else?

The way I see it, the GAC banners could be removed entirely. Since no versions of the game (come April 1, at least) will have to have items dummied out, there's no reason to warn users about that. Likewise, since you're required to have AOTI to play the game now, the AOTI banner could probably go, too... for certain articles, at least. I think it should be kept on mission articles just to make it evident which missions use the AOTI drop charts and which ones don't. (It'll have to be reworded, of course.)

Questions, comments?

Post subject: Re: AOTI and AOTI GAC banners
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:18 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Remove GAC.
Remove PS2 visual banners upon JP PS2 shutdown.
Remove AOTI banner for items (keep it in the item data proper).
Keep AOTI banner for missions and reword it to clarify that it now means the mission uses AOTI dropcharts and content.
Possibly add a V1 banner for missions that explains they have not been converted to the AOTI format yet.

No point keeping banners that are obsolete, it's just wasted space.

I'm in space.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:48 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

All of this is true.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:03 pm 

Remove the un-necessary banners. I don't think a V1 banner would be needed, a reworded banner alone would suffice I'm sure.

And you could probably just remove the PS2 stuff now seeing as I doubt anyone who uses psup plays on ps2, nor would psup make less sense to them without it.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:41 am 
PSUPedia SysOp

Cool. Well, I've started to put the banners out of use starting with the newest weapon articles. I think the next step I'll take is updating the AOTI banner to be used with mission articles. Actually, it'd probably be easier to create a new one -- {{AOTI mission}} or something of the like -- and just replace the ones that are on the mission articles with it. There are way fewer of those than items, so it wouldn't take nearly as long as removing the old banner from all pages. Then, we can blank the old banner and remove the code as we move along.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:05 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

I was working on getting {{AOTI mission}} ready to go so I could add it to the relevant mission articles when I realized that we might be going about this backwards. Since AOTI is the standard now, maybe it would work better to just identify the exceptions -- ver.1 missions. For the most part, that would just be story missions and a few straggling free missions. After that, we could just blank the current AOTI template and be good to go.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Sounds good.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:16 am 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

Oh, I never did respond here, did I?

Yeah, get that shit outta here.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:43 am 
PSUPedia SysOp

And they're outta here!

Blanked {{AOTI only}} and {{AOTI GAC only}}; it'll take a bit for the wiki to catch up, but they'll stop appearing on pages soon. We can work on removing the old code from articles as new edits are made. No need for a mass-edit of all articles to remove the templates; it can happen over time.

For the smaller icons, would anyone object if I were to change the GAC icon to default to the AOTI one? Since there's not really any difference between the two now, I figured we might as well just stick to a single icon.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:19 am 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

B-but all that effort I put into making that icon!

I care not.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:45 am 
PSUPedia SysOp

Knowing what item is AOTI and what item is supplemental helps us at EGS. Please leave them.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:40 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Ah, OK. In that case, I can work on identifying the items that were added with the supplement that didn't get the GAC icon... things like units, line shields and biomaterials. Shouldn't really be too many of them.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:45 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Well we're more concerned about the visual things rather than actual items so units/ls/materials don't matter much.

Board index » PSUPedia » PSUPedia