Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » PSUPedia » PSUPedia

Post subject: Adding content on Infinity
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:53 am 

Hey guys, a friend and I have been kicking around the notion of translating the PSP2I wiki, but it's tough finding a place to host that presents the information well. PSP2pedia is nice, so how do you feel about adding the weapons and armor from Infinity to your wiki?

Post subject: Re: Adding content on Infinity
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:58 am 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

Yes, absolutely.

We'll need to work up some templates and icons to mark things as vanilla PSP2 versus Infinity content, but by all means, have at it.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:27 am 

Cool. I've been poring over the PSP2I wiki since I picked up the game on release, and I've mentally put most of it into English in my mind already. Is there a place on the wiki where I can start, like, just typing as much as possible? Is that what user pages are for?

The PSP2I wiki has a different colored background under the names of Infinity items, so I think something like that, or an icon, would work well. There's also the issue of items that were introduced in PSP2, but have different stats in Infinity (most notably grenades and shields). Also, Photon Art and Tech data. Would it be easiest just to have another stat box with Infinity stats under the extend data on each weapon page?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:16 am 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

If you want to just mess around to learn the wiki ropes, then yes, your user page or the sandbox is the place to do that. You can use your user page for whatever you want, really.

Different colored background and/or a different icon would work. We use both those methods on the main wiki for different things (background colors for server availability, icons for game version). Regarding the stat box question, errrr yeah, I guess that would work?

I'm really not the most qualified to deliberate about all this, since I don't have a PSP and have never played the PSP series, unfortunately.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:02 am 

Okay, is there a place where I can paste the tables from the wiki and edit that? Because it's much easier for me to add a column with the English name and edit the other bits and pieces than it is for me to type out the names, stats, effects, and abilities of 400 new weapons.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:30 am 

So, kicking around the templates, I see a few things that need to be added.

First off, a version icon for Infinity (right now, making an article with a weapons template automatically gives me the 2 ver. icon).

An additional two stat boxes for Infinity Extend stats (since Infinity added a further extension).

Also, some of the new Madoogs have 80% PP usage normally, but 60% PP usage during their special month (these are generally seasonal or holiday-related Madoogs). How can this be implemented in the existing template?

Infinity has added a number of 'sealed' weapons, weapons that increase in stat/ability, or upgrade into an entirely separate weapon (Akatsuki Fu -> Akatasuki In). Do we need a separate page for every single one, like how you changed the KH page?

I'm afraid I don't know any HTML or wiki coding, but I would like to do what I can. :)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:28 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

When Infinity was first announced, we'd planned on adding all of the new content to the existing wiki. As the release date got closer and closer, however, we began to realize just how much things were changing. Eventually it got to the point where we realized not only was it going to require too much work to integrate, but we were also risking making the wiki even more confusing by trying to support both versions of PSP2 and then the JP version of Infinity. Anyway, we'd actually made some templates and chart alterations in preparation for integration.

* http://psp2.psupedia.info/Template:PSP2i_version - A small icon for stat charts to distinguish between PSP2 items and Infinity items.
* http://psp2.psupedia.info/Template:PSP2i_only - A banner for the top of articles which apply only to Infinity.

I even started a few articles to test out some of these things.

* http://psp2.psupedia.info/Deumans
* http://psp2.psupedia.info/Sabarta
* http://psp2.psupedia.info/Diverse

So anyway, after the realization of how well integration might not work, we tossed around the idea of doing a separate wiki -- psp2i.psupedia.info... Infinipedia or something of the sort. That never got off the ground, however. Essentially a combination of lack of time and interest on the staff's part and rapidly declining support for PSPedia2 from the community. Now, to be completely honest, I'm not totally against starting up a separate wiki for Infinity, especially if multiple people are willing, able and interested in showing it the support it deserves. I'll just say that on my part, while I'd definitely lend a hand when I could, my main focus would remain with PSUPedia and our upcoming PSO2 database project.

(I really hope that all didn't come off as Debbie Downer Bad News Boobraloo! But I just wanted to get it out there so you know what all's gone on about the subject.)

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:20 am 

Yeah I saw the infinity tech articles a while back so I thought you guys might be open to hosting the info. I understand that it would be a lot to sift through and make sure visitors don't get confused with what they're looking at.

We actually started putting together a database type site on google sites. Here's the sword page. I'm lazy and I don't know HTML so all I did was copy the tables straight from the PSP2I wiki and edit the boxes appropriately (editing all the locations is going to be tedious and I do not look forward to it).

If any of you feel like chipping in, please let us know :) we literally just started this yesterday so it's pretty rough around the edges, but if anyone here knows some HTML we sure could use it.

Board index » PSUPedia » PSUPedia