Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Other stuff » Off-topic

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Power supply issue.
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:50 pm 
Easily Outfoxed by Simple Utensils Buckaroo

Qwerty wrote:
Green? Is that the brand? Never heard of it, so it's probably shit.

Ask for Antec or Corsair, and make sure you get one that is 80+ certified. Also make sure you have sufficient wattage.

I remembered which one it was.
Here: http://www.pcimicro.com/.sc/ms/dd/Power ... r%20Supply

There's a picture at the bottom with the details.

Last edited by Amaury on Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:54 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

650W? Do you have a whole factory in your computer? :-)

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:12 pm 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

Holy shit, yeah, unless you have really high end shit in your computer, there's no way you need a 650W PSU. Also, there's no way a quality 650W PSU would be that cheap. That one looks like a cheap piece of shit.

Also, you should probably use a less shady looking website, like newegg.

Anyway, the first thing you need to do is calculate what wattage your computer actually needs, and then find a good quality PSU.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:15 pm 

Qwerty wrote:
Holy shit, yeah, unless you have really high end shit in your computer, there's no way you need a 650W PSU. Also, there's no way a quality 650W PSU would be that cheap. That one looks like a cheap piece of shit.

Also, you should probably use a less shady looking website, like newegg.

Anyway, the first thing you need to do is calculate what wattage your computer actually needs, and then find a good quality PSU.

No, that's not where we bought them, we bought them at one of our local computer stores. I was using that site so you know which power supply we get. Also, it's $49.99 at the computer store we go to.
This is the second breakdown we've had since they changed owners. The other one had to go east somewhere for some reason.

What's wrong with more wattage than needed? I asked my mom, and she said it could burn things out or something if it's too much. Also, how does one calculate how much wattage their PC needs?

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:29 pm 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

The problem with extra wattage is that you're paying for something you aren't going to use. You're better off getting a lower-wattage, higher-quality PSU.

There are a bunch of sites out there that you can use to determine the wattage you need. I don't understand most of them. Here's one I used. Typically, though, the main factor determining what you need is your graphics card.

I'd recommend buying parts from newegg rather than a local shop unless you are completely computer illiterate and need someone to install it for you.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:37 pm 

Qwerty wrote:
The problem with extra wattage is that you're paying for something you aren't going to use. You're better off getting a lower-wattage, higher-quality PSU.

There are a bunch of sites out there that you can use to determine the wattage you need. I don't understand most of them. Here's one I used. Typically, though, the main factor determining what you need is your graphics card.

I'd recommend buying parts from newegg rather than a local shop unless you are completely computer illiterate and need someone to install it for you.

The current power supply is the one we put in ourselves.

We always go to Amazon when we order stuff.

By the way, Qwerty, I really do appreciate all the help, so thanks a lot for the help!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:41 am 

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=330570

Amaury25 wrote:
Note: I'll either be on my mom's PC or my back-up PC (it's the Dell I used before I got my PC that's broken down). Until yesterday night, I was just on my mom's, but now I'll be on my mom's or my Dell.

It's still not fixed, and we're not planning on getting it fixed now; instead we're going to get a new PC for me, or at least we're thinking about it, but, anyway, here's an update that should explain a lot.

The power supply is bad, but it turns out that the rattling was coming from the processor's fan (the small one in the middle).

The new power supplies we've been getting only fixed the problem temporarily, meaning my PC would just keep breaking and breaking down and we would have to keep spending money on power supplies, which, according to the guy at K-Valley, should have a lifespan of about 5 years, so something is causing the power supplies to go out.

My gaming PC was built out of new and used parts, and the whole PC is kind of screwed up.

First of all, the motherboard the broken down PC has is a motherboard for a server computer, not a personal computer.

Second of all, too much wattage in the power supply.

Third of all, there wasn't proper venting. The only fans in the broken down PC are those of the power supply and processor -- nothing else.

I don't want to keep using my PC, so we're just going to put the hard-drive from my PC into my mom's PC and back files up that way. I can also access them on my mom's PC until I get my new PC, if we decide to get it.

There are two the guy recommended for games.

One's around $800 and the other is around $1,000.

I'll scan the papers on my mom's printer later (I don't have my printer installed on the Dell) and post them here.

Last edited by Amaury on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:27 am 

That's a generic power supply, avoid them at all costs.

Research properly about the parts that come on those 2 PCs, most times it is better to build your pc (choose the parts separately) for games because many pc's out there (including the ones geared for gamers) have odd choices like too much memory (which is compensated with cheap video cards (example)).

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:30 am 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

A good PSU should last around 5 years. A crappy off-brand one like you bought will last a year if you are lucky.

And yeah, it's generally better to build your own computer. I used to do this for all of mine, but I was lazy and just bought one last summer. It was a pretty good deal, though, so I'm not complaining. Waiting on UPS to deliver me a new graphics card and PSU I ordered last week, and then I should be able to run pretty much anything except anything that requires DirectX 11 (which is virtually nothing).

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:19 am 

Like I said on the SEGA forums...

"I forgot to add that putting oil on the fan would fix the rattling, but it wouldn't fix everything, but like he just suggested, why keep putting money in the PC to fix it if it's just going to keep breaking down?

On the freezing issue, that's being caused from overheating somehow, which I didn't quite get.

Last edited by Amaury on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:44 am 
PSUPedia SysOp

Ahahah the vendors are doing a great job trying to get your money.

Like I said, it's not a power supply issue. And it also doesn't matter if it's generic or not, power supplies are quite simple devices, it's kinda hard to screw them up.

If it was a power supply issue, your PC wouldn't be the only thing in your house to have broken. Also it would fail more spectacularly, either by rebooting your PC (power spike or low) or with white smoke and/or weird odor coming out of it.

Now considering your issue 3 months ago, you mentioned your PC was in a very hot closed space.

When your computer freezes it's generally that your CPU or your GPU overheat or that the software has a bug. When it's your GPU you generally have artifacts on the screen. That leaves us with either a software bug or a hot CPU. The first step to check if it's software would be to download and run a live CD and see if it does the same. Also run a memtest just in case (though memory does different errors than just freeze usually).

Now I'll just watch you dismiss this information (for the third time I think? and you still have problems ahahah) and laugh at you when you spend 1000$ instead of <100$ to fix your problem... if it isn't just that your PC is still in that very hot closed space.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:09 am 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

Errrr, yeah. If the problem is with your CPU fan, just replace that. Unless, of course, you want to buy a new computer anyway.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:30 pm 

Qwerty wrote:
Errrr, yeah. If the problem is with your CPU fan, just replace that. Unless, of course, you want to buy a new computer anyway.

And a new power supply, of course, since something keeps causing them to go out.

Would buying a new processor fan fix everything and not give me problems again for a long time?

The guy suggested not to keep putting money on something that just keeps breaking down, but he didn't suggest replacing the CPU fan, just oiling it to fix the rattling.

I'm confused now. Maybe the CPU fan is not the only problem? I don't know how to tell.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:50 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Dude, a computer in an enclosed space = failure. Fans go spinning more than they should and can't prevent overheating. Move this computer somewhere else and you won't have new problems. It's not "some dust", "a faulty PSU" or whatever that causes your problems, it's that fresh air doesn't go through! Now tell me that your computer is still in the closet or whatever it was before.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:12 pm 

essen wrote:
Dude, a computer in an enclosed space = failure. Fans go spinning more than they should and can't prevent overheating. Move this computer somewhere else and you won't have new problems. It's not "some dust", "a faulty PSU" or whatever that causes your problems, it's that fresh air doesn't go through! Now tell me that your computer is still in the closet or whatever it was before.

There's airflow, and I always keep my closet doors open, so it's not enclosed. There's space in the back. Since my mom bought her monitor, she gave me the Dell (this is before we got my PC), and the Dell was in the closet with no problems. I have it in my closet now, too, while using it as a substitute PC.

Also, it's a good thing we decided to open up my mom's PC to add my hard-drive. Her power supply, which goes by the name of Micro (not sure if that's the brand or power supply's name). Hers is different than mine, instead of there being a fan at the bottom of the supply, there's an opening on the side of her supply, but that was all covered in dust. The computer itself was not that dusty, just that area. She wasn't getting any problems, though, so it was still getting air.

Also, would the server motherboard in my PC be the problem? My mom said it could be too much for it.

Last edited by Amaury on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:17 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

I lol'd. You're hopeless.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:21 pm 

essen wrote:
I lol'd. You're hopeless.

There's no need to insult me.

Read my edited post regading the Dell.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:48 pm 
PSUPedia SysOp

Server motherboard has nothing to do with it (unless it's the one dying).

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:29 pm 

We're going somewhere, so I'll back things up later. The hard-drive is definitely fine, as it didn't freeze at all on my mom's PC. We were just waiting for the scan to finish since it hasn't scanned in two days, excluding today. When it was done I shut it down.

Post subject: Re: Computer issues.
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:06 pm 

If you're looking for a new PC, this is my recommendation (that is, if you're not able to fix the problems in your current PC):
Case: Antec Three Hundred - $49.95
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955BE (3.2GHz) - $159.99
Processor Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 - $59.99
Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD/USB3 - $99.99
Memories: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1600MHz CL9 - $99.99
Hard Drive: Western Digital 750GB Caviar Black 7200rpm 32MB Buffer - $59.99
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD5770 1GB GDDR5 - $159.99
Power Supply: Corsair 650TX 650W - $89.99
DVD Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST - $22.99
Monitor: Asus VH222H 22" 1920x1080 - $159.99
Operative System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM (For System Builders) - $94.99
Total: $1057.85

But if you don't know how to, you would need someone to mount the PC for you...

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/ezodagrom
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom
Origin/GFWL Gamertag/UPlay: Ezodagrom

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:19 am 

There are two ways we're planning on fixing it.

Way 1:

* New power supply of better quality
* New CPU fan
* Intake and exhaust fan

Way 2:

* New motherboard made for personal computers
* New power supply of better quality
* New CPU fan

We may add the fans for way 2, anyway, just in case. My mom's doesn't have additional fans, but that's because her computer doesn't have a super motherboard, so there's no overheating danger. Well, there is, but that's just mostly if dust clogs the PC up, which is easy to fix since all one has to do is blow it out.

We know that the current motherboard in my PC is for a server computer, as there is some tube the runs water through it to cool it down, which is why it needs additional fans, which my PC didn't get when it was built.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm 
PSUPedia Bureaucrat

So you're using a motherboard designed for WATER COOLING in a computer you keep stuffed in a CLOSET.

Ok.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:10 pm 

Qwerty wrote:
So you're using a motherboard designed for WATER COOLING in a computer you keep stuffed in a CLOSET.

Ok.

They gave us a server motherboard, which requires additional fans, but my PC never got those. If we get a motherboard that's meant for personal computers, then when we may not need the additional fans. The closet is not the problem.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:32 pm 

I doubt that what they gave you was a server motherboard, since those usually have different sockets specifically for server processors (in other words, they usually don't support desktop processors).

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/ezodagrom
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom
Origin/GFWL Gamertag/UPlay: Ezodagrom

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:38 am 
PSUPedia SysOp

Why are you linking to three identical topics about your computer issues in your sig?

I'm in space.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:08 pm 

Mewn wrote:
Why are you linking to three identical topics about your computer issues in your sig?

So if people have accounts there, they can post there, too. That or to see if there's more information on one topic than another. My topic here has gotten more posts / replies than the ones on the SEGA forums and OSGuild forums.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:51 am 

Update - July 16th, 2010

So it's being left at Windy City Computers overnight. I guess it was the power supply that was rattling, not the CPU fan, which is what we thought it was at first -- it must be hard to tell.

Anyway, they threw in a power supply they had in the back (I'm not sure which brand), and there was no rattling at all. They're still runnng a diagnostics on it still. It was only estimated to take about two hours, but they got busy. They also don't seem to think that they need to have intake and exhaust fans, but we'll see -- we may just do it for extra support.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:22 pm 

Update - July 17th, 2010:

Okay, so I got my PC back, but it's not hooked up yet

Anyway, they seem to think the freezing was most likely caused by power surges from the faulty power supply. They actually didn't charge us. My mom thinks they brought up the log that showed previous problems with it. Anyway, the new (it might be used, but it looks very new) power supply they put in goes by the name of "CoolMax". I'm not sure if that's the power supply's name or the brand, but we'll see how it does. If my PC goes 15 to 30 minutes without freezing, then everything's fine. For now, anyway. Maybe we'll have problems down the road; if not, that will be even more awesome!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:53 pm 

Well, so much for that. Now we're thinking it's the ATI graphics card, which went out on us once before when we had the that first major problem where the graphics card and power supply went out, although the last one was an NVIDIA.

When we opened the event viewer, errors with ATI came up. "ati2mtag".
There's also a "Tcpip" error, but I'm not sure what that is.

It's not a heat issue -- that's for sure. It's at 105 F.

Last edited by Amaury on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:11 am 
PSUPedia SysOp

Remember when I said it was pointless to change the PSU again because it couldn't be that and you were like NO WAY and I was like YES WAY and then you ignored me and now LOOK AT YOU. Now you're thinking it's the graphic card (you think hardware, which is unlikely, but it could very well be shitty drivers) regardless of me telling you it's probably not that unless you have artifacts on the screen but you are like NO WAY again and I'm laughing hard at your face on top of lung.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Other stuff » Off-topic